Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Blasser Law
Schedule A Free Consultation 877-927-2181

Reasons to Modify Child Custody

Baby's booties, dummy and colourful letters regarding child-custody and family-law concept

Child custody orders are meant to be the final word on the matter.  To modify a child custody or visitation arrangement, assuming both parents do not agree to the change, the party seeking a change must ask the family court for a modification.  Courts do not want to revisit child custody simply because one parent later becomes dissatisfied with the current arrangement.  While a parent may move for a modification at any time after the divorce, the party seeking modification must show that there has been a “significant change in circumstances” sufficient to warrant the change and that the proposed modification is in the child’s best interest.  Below are some of the common reasons parents cite when seeking to modify child custody arrangements.  Ask a knowledgeable Diamond Bar child custody attorney for help if you need to change a California child custody order in Los Angeles or the San Gabriel Valley.

Change in a parent’s work schedule

Parents who change jobs may find that the current custody arrangement no longer fits their schedule–they are no longer available on weekends or need to travel a week or two each month.  If their co-parent refuses to alter the existing custody schedule to be accommodating, it may be necessary to ask the court for help.

One parent is denying custody or visitation rights to the other

A court may order a modification to a child custody arrangement if the custodial parent has been preventing the non-custodial parent from exercising their parenting time with the shared children.  Parents who violate the court’s custody order risk losing their custody rights or having them limited.

One parent is putting the child in a dangerous environment or otherwise neglecting parental duties

If one parent suspects that the other is placing the child in a dangerous situation by, for example, conducting criminal activity inside the home or abusing drugs or alcohol, that parent may move to deny custody or visitation to the endangering co-parent.  Similarly, a parent may seek a modification if the other parent is failing to properly care for the child, such as by not ensuring that the child gets to school on time or that the child attends scheduled medical appointments.

Parental relocation

If a parent must relocate to a distant city or out-of-state due to a change in employment or personal matters, either parent may move to modify the custody arrangement to accommodate the move.  The custodial parent cannot move to another state with the shared children without the approval of the non-custodial parent or the court. 

If the non-custodial parent is relocating, they may seek an alternative arrangement that still permits parenting time.  If the non-custodial parent was far away and moves closer to the custodial parent, they may ask the court for more parenting time or shared custody.

Get Help from Seasoned, Talented and Effective Diamond Bar Child Custody and Modification Attorneys

For experienced and knowledgeable legal help with a California family law matter or Los Angeles area divorce, contact the Diamond Bar offices of Blasser Law at 909-843-6363.

Blasser Law

445 West Foothill Blvd., Suite 108
Claremont, CA 91711




Connect With Us

  • Facebook
  • Linkedin
  • YouTube

We Accept

  • MasterCard
  • VISA

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission from www.blasserlaw.com

Designed and Powered by NextClient

© 2016 - 2024 Blasser Law. All rights reserved.
Custom WebShop™ law firm website design by NextClient.com.